- Расширить эрудицию учащихся, их общий кругозор по теме.
- Познакомить с Соединенными Штатами Америки.
Развивающие: развить у учащихся внимание, мышление, языковую и контекстуальную догадку.
Воспитывающие: воспитывать у учащихся самостоятельность и чувство сопереживания.
Методы обучения: наглядный, словесный и метод стимулирования.
Тип урока: игра «Звездный час”
Дополнительные материалы: карта США, американский флаг, карточки.
1. Вступительное слово ведущего
Ведущий: Dear friends! I am very glad to see you again. We have gathered together to hold a «Star Hour» contest. The subject of our today’s game is the United States of America. I realise that you know much about this country from books, newspapers, and TV programmes. I also told you much about this beautiful country and its people after my visit to New York and Washington. I think that some of you will have a chance to visit America, too, and make friends with the youth of the USA. Today we’ll get some more information about different states of America, the biggest cities, the presidents, the holidays and important dates in American history. I wish you to have a nice time at our «Star Hour» contest.
2. Представление участников игры
Beдущий: And now let me introduce the participants of today ‘Star Hour» contest.
No. 1. Alexander. In my opinion, Sasha is a curious, industrious and clever boy. He can draw very well. He is fond of reading. The more he reads, the more he knows. He took part in school and town competitions in geography, chemistry, physics, maths and computer games. A partner — his classmate — Yelena.
No. 2. Lesya. Lesya’s mother is a very talented woman and Lesya is like her mother. They are both very clever with their hands and very patient. There is nothing they cannot make themselves. Lesya is brilliant at sewing, knitting, embroidering, making nice tasty cakes and different arrangements of artificial flowers. Her works were exhibited many times at our school and eveiybody could enjoy her needlework.
Her partner will be Irina. Etc. Well, friends, to begin with, you may get an extra star if you sing a song, recite a poem, do a dance, etc. Are there any volunteers? You are welcome!
3. Содержание игры
a) The First Round
Ведущий: And now it’s time to begin the contest. I wish you good luck! A great ship asks for deep waters. Are you ready? Let’s start!
Ведущий: Look at the blackboard, please. Our first theme is «The Cities of America». No. 1. Philadelphia, No. 2. Washington, No. 3. Los Angeles, No. 4. New York, No. 5. Chicago, No. 6. Boston, No. 7. Detroit
Ведущий: Listen to my statements, please, and show the correct number. (You will take a step forward and get a star for every correct answer).
- This city is famous for a tea-party in American history. It is the capital of the state of Massachusetts. (No. 6 Boston)
- It’s the centre of the movie industry and home to many movie stars, though too often the sunshine is hidden by smog here. (No. 3 Los Angeles)
- It’s not the largest city in the USA. It’s situated on the Potomac River. There aren’t any sky-scrapers there: no building may be more than 40 metres tall. (No. 2 Washington)
- This city is home to the American automobile industry. Ford, Chrysler and General Motors are among the most important employers here. (No. 7 Detroit)
- The idea of celebrating May Day was born here in 1886. It’s located on Lake Michigan and famous for its beaches. It has been called the most typically American city. The world’s tallest building — the Sears Tower (443 m.) is situated there. (No. 5 Chicago).
- It is the city where the two most important decisions in American history were made: the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were written here. (No. 1 Philadelphia)
- It was founded in 1613 by Dutch settlers. Peter Minuit bought the island from the Indians for 24 dollars and a barrel of mm. Today it’s a multi-national city and the money-centre of the United States. The famous districts of this city are the Brighton Beach, Harlem, Chinatown and others. (No. 4 New York)
Ведущий: Good, children. And now let’s change the theme. It is «American States». Maybe it will be luckier for some of you. No. 1 Virginia, No. 2 Maryland, No. 3 Rhode Island, No. 4 New York, No. 5 New Hampshire, No. 6 New Jersey, No. 7 Pennsylvania, No. 8 Texas
- All these states were among the first 13 American colonies except this one. (No. 8 Texas)
- It was the last, 13th colony, voting for Independence of North-American colonies. It is the home state of Hershey chocolate. (No. 7 Pennsylvania)
- Eight American presidents were born in this state, that’s why Americans call it «the Presidents’ State». (No. 1 Virginia)
- This state has the shortest coastline. (No. 5 New Hampshire)
- It’s the smallest US state. (No. 3 Rhode Island)
Ведущий: I see that some of you have reached the second round. But first I mast say «goodbye» to… (из игры выбывают двое участников с наименьшим количеством звездочек). Girls, please, come up to me. Thank you for participation. I suppose, this chocolate will sweeten your failure. (Четверо оставшихся учащихся выходят во второй раунд). Thus, Alexander, Alyona, Oxana and Nadya will compete in the second round. Applause, please.
B) The Second Round
Ведущий: Look at the placard «The United States of America». There are 24 letters in the name of ” the country. Your task is to use them to make up English words — nouns, numerals, adjectives, prepositions, verbs etc. The more, the better. I’ll give you 3 minutes to do the task. All the spectators can make up the words, too. The one who writes the longest English word, will become the winner among the spectators. One, two, off we go. 
Пока участники и зрители составляют слова, звучит фонограмма с английскими песнями.
in, on. at, after, do, eat, sit, see, read, stand, mouse, mice, hen, cat. hair, man, tree, one, three, four, ten, March, much, our, he, she, it, is, are, the, feet, teeth, cheese, cream, sand, coat, coast, red, rice, craft, draft, train, dress, home, chess, chair, stairs, sofa, face, safe, tune, tunic, drama, mother, sister, cousin, cassette, friend, thousand, domestic, anecdote, teacher, human, romantic, scientist, serious, etc.
Жюри подсчитывает количество слов, составленных участниками.
Ведущий: Well, children, unfortunately Oxana made up the least number of words. The game is over for her and her partner. Come up to me, girls. I want to give you small gifts and to say ‘thank you’. (Выбывает еще один участник с наименьшим списком слов). And as for Nadya, she managed to write down 44 words. It’s.a record. She gets the right to open the colourful boxes with small prizes inside. Come here and choose a box to your liking. Don’t forget to take a star, please.
Участник сумевший написать большое количество слов за ограниченное время, получает приз.
Ведущий: So, Alexander, Nadya and Alyona will take part in the third round of the game.
c) The Third Round
Theme «The Presidents of the USA». No. 1 George Washington No. 5 Ronald Reagan No. 2 Abraham Lincoln No. 6 Thomas Jefferson No. 3 John Kennedy No. 7 Franklin Roosevelt
No. 4 George Bush No. 8 Bill Clinton
- He was the 3d president of the USA. He was the author of the Declaration of Independence. (No. 6 Jeffersonj
- Americans call him «the Father of the Nation». He never lived in the White House. It wasn’t built yet. The monument dedicated to this president is nicknamed «The Pencil». The central place of the city is the Mall a large open space a kind of park stretching from the building of the Capitol to Lincoln Memorial. (No. 1 Washington)
- He was the first president elected from the Republican Party. He is considered to be the most humane U.S. president and the author of the Emancipation Proclamation which gave freedom to Negro slaves in America. (No. 2 Lincoln)
- He was the longest-serving US president (for 12 years). He was the American president during World War II in 1941-1945. (No. 7 Roosevelt)
- He was the 42d American president. He is good at playing the saxophone. (No. 8 Clinton)
- He was the youngest-elected president in the history of the USA (at the age of 43). He was shot in Texas in 1963 and buried in Arlington National Cemetery in Washington. In New York there is an international airport named after this president. (No. 3 Kennedy)
Ведущий: It’s time to say «good-bye» to Alyona and her partner. They played very well. But to have 8 stars didn’t turn to be enough to move up into the final game. Thank you very. much, girls, for your participation in our game. You know much about the USA and you deserve applause.
d) The Final Round
Ведущий: To choose the winners of our contest you are to write the names of American states (as many as possible). Time is limited.
The participants are given 5 minutes and then they begin reading their lists of words. (The person who names the last word becomes the winner. The members of the jury are given the list of all 50 states to cross them out as soon as the participants name them not to let them repeat the same state twice).
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Chapter review 
Fill in the blanks with the correct words from the list:
Smog, link, forty-niners, criss-crossed, earthquake, markets, spacious, unique, mansions, beaches.
- The capital city Washington D.C. is __________by broad avenues which meet in _____squares and circles.
- New Orleans has taken elements of many cultures and created its own___culture.
- Waterways made Chicago a natural _____between the products of the Midwest and the___of the East.
- Though miles from any ocean Chicago is famous for its_________.
- __________who came to California by ship passed through San Francisco.
- In 1906 San Francisco was hit by a destructive _____________.
- The Beverly Hills area is famous for its _______and high – priced shops.
- Very often the sunshine in Los Angeles is hidden by_______.
Награждение победителей игры.
- Награждение победителей игры.
- Заключительное слово ведущего:
Ведущий: Our today’s contest «Star Hour» is over. I think it was a success. You have demonstrated good knowledge. I am pleased with your answers. Thank you very much for coming and taking an active part in the game